[Nhcoll-l] outsourcing specimen prep

O'Brien, Mark mfobrien at umich.edu
Thu Jun 7 11:35:38 EDT 2012

My view on this is - we expect that any museum uses well-trained people that have a vested interest in doing things according to the accepted standards of whatever type of taxonomic group they work on.  Museums also have a responsibility for documenting the chain of custody and permit process.   Yes, there are many tasks that can be done by marginally-trained people, but they are done under the supervision of a curator or collection manager.

I would ask the bean-counters if they would have MacDonald's cater a state dinner.

Mark

Mark F. O'Brien, Collection Manager
Insect Division, Museum of Zoology
The University of Michigan