[Nhcoll-l] outsourcing specimen prep [faked-from]

White, Rich rwhite at thewildlifemuseum.org
Thu Jun 7 14:52:45 EDT 2012

In addition, learning to do all of the collection management work is a major part of the education of students coming up through the ranks, and a museum is the only place where this can reasonably be taught.  Thus, student interns or part time workers need this exposure.  If it is out-sourced, how will they get the experience?  And then what sort of trained labor pool will be available to the museum when one of the collection management staff leaves and must be replaced?

Richard S. White, Jr., Director
International Wildlife Museum
4800 West Gates Pass Road
Tucson, Arizona 85745