[Nhcoll-l] Sprinklers in wet collections

Monaghan, Nigel nmonaghan at museum.ie
Thu May 10 07:29:06 EDT 2012

Gali

We have spent some time designing a purpose-built spirit collection facility (still waiting for funds to build it). We are not pursuing water sprinklers in the zone where collections of jars are held. This is because there is a risk of spreading an alcohol based fire by adding water to the equation. Our approach is to keep the collections at low temperature (12 Celsius) to avoid evaporation from collections in storage or from spillages – that keeps the risk of fire from alcohol vapour to a minimum. We have sprinklers outside the area where the collections are stored to prevent risk of fire spreading into the collections area. Fire suppression in areas including collections stored in alcohol can be met best by inert gas systems which work by removing oxygen from the fire equation. They also remove oxygen from people so need to be well designed with safety systems to ensure people have vacated the area before they go off – a good example is the underground spirit facility in Paris. Several alcohol collections stores visited during our research focus much more on fire prevention than localised suppression. In Europe we have directives on storage of flammable liquids that dictate much of what our engineers try to achieve.

Nigel

Mr Nigel T. Monaghan,
Keeper,
Natural History Division,
National Museum of Ireland,
Merrion Street,
Dublin 2,
IRELAND

+353-1-6486354 (phone)
+353-1-6486380 (fax)
nmonaghan at museum.ie<mailto:nmonaghan at museum.ie>
www.museum.ie<blocked::outbind://24/www.museum.ie>

Group Bookings should be addressed to bookings at museum.ie<mailto:bookings at museum.ie>
Research visitors must make appointments in advance of any proposed visit.

Visit: See our profile and download the App at www.dublinculturetrail.ie<http://www.dublinculturetrail.ie/Venue.aspx?id=120bc173-a5de-4b8d-ab1d-7568d9a34b11>
Catch: Mystery objects with the Dead Zoo Keeper on Elev8, RTÉ 2 TV<http://www.rte.ie/trte/elev8/> Wednesdays at 4pm
Watch: We are one of the Dublin stories on www.storymap.ie<http://www.storymap.ie/> also at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VunX2u_mQWw
Hear: Chopped, pickled and stuffed online radio at www.rte.ie/radio1/choppedpickledandstuffed<http://www.rte.ie/radio1/choppedpickledandstuffed>
Read: Guide to the National Museum of Ireland - Natural History, €5.95 from Museum Shops
Follow: Spoticus, our Rothschild's giraffe who speaks his own mind on Twitter http://twitter.com/SpotticusNH
Enjoy: Dead Zoo - the poem that won a prize at http://www.poetryireland.ie/publications/ted-mcnulty-prize.html
Count: Using the new maths trail of Dublin from Ingenious Ireland<http://ingeniousireland.ie/2011/10/launch-of-new-maths-trails-dublin-by-numbers/> and measure a giant deer