[Nhcoll-l] Sprinklers in wet collections

Brian Sidlauskas brian.sidlauskas at oregonstate.edu
Thu May 10 17:32:27 EDT 2012

Hello Gail, Andy and others,

Very interesting discussion.   With the cooperation of the local fire
marshal, Oregon State University just moved our ichthyology collection
to a new facility that seems to be closely in line with Andy's
suggestions.  Our sprinklers are also water-based, and the room has its
own HVAC system that replaces the air every two hours.  This system is
controlled separately from the HVAC in the rest of the building.  The
metal shelving in the compact shelving units is perforated.

Other features of the room include two-hour firedoors and firewalls,
placement on an external wall of the building (can be broken down by the
fire department to gain access in an emergency), and the construction of
a large reservoir under the building that can accommodate the entire
fluid volume of the collection, plus two hours of sprinkler output.
This last has perhaps more to do with earthquake safety than fire
safety, and was designed to handle the unhappy incidence of every jar
and tank breaking simultaneously.  Perish the thought.

I hope that this helps.

-- Brian

--

***************************************