[Nhcoll-l] Sprinklers in wet collections

Colin Macgregor Colin.Macgregor at austmus.gov.au
Thu May 10 22:51:52 EDT 2012

Hi Gali,
At the Australian Museum, the new zoological collection and research building (completed in 2008) has no sprinklers in the collection storage areas. The fire suppressant system is Inergen gas, which is a combination of nitrogen, CO2 and argon triggered by flash and smoke detectors.  This is safe for humans and doesn't have the environmental impact of the old Halon systems. I don't think we would be permitted to have pure CO2 these days in NSW due to the risk of asphyxiation if an electrical storm triggered the system without warning.

http://www.wormald.com.au/systems/gaseous-agents/inergen-gaseous-system

The temperature is managed at 18°C and the air flushed regularly. Vapour detector alarms are triggered if the ethanol vapour levels rise too high in any space.

We are happy to share our experiences of various systems over the past 20 years if you want to contact me off-list. But as Robert suggested, the constraints of local regulations will be a major factor in the choice of a system.

Regards,
Colin Macgregor
colin.macgregor at austmus.gov.au
Manager Materials Conservation