[Nhcoll-l] SPNHC 2012

Bruce Ford bford at netspeed.com.au
Thu May 24 18:39:59 EDT 2012

I will be setting up a table with a demonstration of microfading to run
during the SPNHC conference Monday 11th - Thursday 14th July and will be
looking for materials to test during the week. If you have material you
would be interested in having fade-tested, bring it along and I'll run it,
or I'll try to anyway. As an example, Jim Druzik from the Getty tells me he
found "both Papilio phorcus (male) (phorcabilin)and Papilio (Graphium)
sarpedon (sarpedobilin) highly light-sensitive relative to entomological
specimens in general"  when he tested them using his microfader. Feathers
and insects need to have pigment rather than interference colours for
microfading to tell you anything. Other things you might be interested in
are inks and other archival materials, botanical specimens and so on.

If you want to find out more about microfading go to www.microfading.com
where you will find references. The best discussion of how microfading,
which is an accelerated light ageing method, relates to real life colour
change is Paul Whitmore's article 'Micro-fading to predict the result of
exhibition: progress and prospects' which you can find at
http://www.cmu.edu/acrc/Publications/micro-fading%20tests.pdf

See you there

Bruce