[Nhcoll-l] NPS asking for info on your collections?

Gregory Schneider ges at umich.edu
Wed Nov 7 19:20:37 EST 2012

I received a request that started as follows:

My name is Stephanie Hawkins, and I am a University of Arizona employee
working under contract with the National Park Service (NPS) on a project to
assist Saguaro National Park with their museum collection management.

I was happy to confirm our three specimen records (which she already knew
of).  As you mentioned, she wants to send a loan form as well as NPS
catalogue and accession numbers.

Thank you for your post.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Ellen Paul <ellen.paul at verizon.net> wrote:

>  Some bird collections have received communications from one of the
> national parks asking for verification of specimens in the collection that
> were collected in that national park and asking the museum to sign a loan
> agreement.
>
> Have any other collections received these communications? If so, from
> which parks?
>
> You may want to hold off on signing the loan agreements as we are
> continuing to pursue this alternate "custodianship" agreement and have been
> making real progress. If you sign the loan agreement, you will be
> precluding yourself from taking advantage of the custodianship agreement
> which is a much better option. At least until the loan agreement expires,
> or unless the NPS later agrees to terminate the loan agreement and replace
> it with the custodianship agreement.
>
> I am guessing that this effort is being made in response to the 2010
> report of the Department of the Interior Inspector General that soundly
> condemned the NPS for having no idea where anything is. I'd give you a link
> but the DOI IG website is down while being migrated to another site so it
> isn't available at the moment. Obviously, it is a good thing that the NPS
> is taking measures to find out where things are, but it is worrisome that
> some of you are being asked to sign loan agreements without being told that
> there may soon be another option.
>
> Ellen
>
> --
> Ellen Paul
> Executive Director
> The Ornithological Council
> Email: ellen.paul at verizon.net
> Phone (301) 986 8568
> "Providing Scientific Information about Birds"
> http://www.nmnh.si.edu/BIRDNET" <http://www.nmnh.si.edu/BIRDNET>

Greg Schneider
Division of Reptiles and Amphibians
Museum of Zoology
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1079
734 647 1927     734 763 4080 (FAX)****

734 763 0740 (Biodiversity Research Center at Varsity Drive)
ges at umich.edu****

** **

[image: Description: Description: logocolor]****

www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/rep_amph/index.html