[Nhcoll-l] Import to China

Carol Spencer atrox10 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 13:23:40 EST 2012

Hi Dirk
We have had several issues shipping herp wet specimens to China, with
specimens being stopped at customs on the Chinese side multiple times (to
Beijing, Kunming, and various other places). Some specimens was returned to
us, and another was caught in customs for several months and then released.
We finally had to get APHIS permits from Sacramento proving that these were
not carrying any disease, which is something that is usually done for farm
animals, not natural history specimens fixed in formalin. We don't mail
specimens or tissues to China anymore, we usually have someone hand carry
it now or wait until the researcher is out of the country to send it to
them. We never used a CR code, but customs officials never asked for that
either. We were shipping following all normal ethanol shipment regulations.

Good luck,
Carol

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Clark, Andrew <ClarkAP at si.edu> wrote:

> Hi Dirk,****
>
> ** **
>
> Someone forwarded your email stream so I thought I’d weigh in on your
> concerns. We routinely ship botanical specimens & mounting supplies to
> China and I have never needed a CR code. As stated by some others the CR
> code may be required if shipping to a Chinese company rather than a Chinese
> Institution/School/Museum. If you have any questions on shipping natural
> history specimens to China please do not hesitate to ask.****
>
> ** **
>
> Regards,****
>
> ** **
>
> Andrew Clark****
>
> ** **
>
> Andrew P. Clark****
>
> Loans Officer****
>
> U.S. National Herbarium****
>
> Department of Botany****
>
> Smithsonian Institution****
>
> ** **
>
> clarkap at si.edu****
>
> phone: (202) 633-0938****
>
> ** **

Carol L. Spencer, Ph.D.
Staff Curator of Herpetology & Researcher
Museum of Vertebrate Zoology
3101 Valley Life Sciences Building
University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA 94720-3160
atrox10 at gmail.com
atrox at berkeley.edu
TEL: 510-643-5778 /FAX: 510-643-8238

http://www.herpnet.org