[Nhcoll-l] 2014 marks centenary of extinction of the PassengerPigeon

Steve Halford halford at sfu.ca
Mon Dec 2 14:10:04 EST 2013

Consider the state of photography in the mid to late 19th century.  They
needed long exposures of stationary subjects.  (There's a reason why so
many surviving Civil War photographs are of the dead on battlefields.)  A
flock of live passenger pigeons would appear as nothing but a blur, not
worth the photographer's trouble to even try to get a picture.
Steve.

Steve Halford (halford at sfu.ca)
Museum Technician (Retired)
Department of Biological Sciences