[Nhcoll-l] amber vs. naphthalene

Demouthe, Jean JDemouthe at calacademy.org
Mon Dec 2 17:53:56 EST 2013

Dear Colleagues:

We are about to receive a large collection of amber specimens, and Entomology wants to have them.

That department no longer uses naphthalene (moth balls) for pest control.  But even in new metal cabinets, their collection reeks of it.

Can anyone suggest a reference for the effect of long-term naphthalene exposure on amber?  Or the possible effects of any other residual fumigant (like dichlorobenzene).

Anything you can tell me about the subject will be greatly appreciated.

Jean DeMouthe

Dr. Jean F. DeMouthe
Senior Collections Manager for Geology
California Academy of Sciences