[Nhcoll-l] EXT : The Dangerous Museum

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Sat Dec 14 14:04:34 EST 2013

On 12/14/13 10:45 AM, Bryant, James wrote:

> Back in 1980, I attended a Washington Entomological Society lecture at
> SI-NMNH entitled "Insects of Medical Importance". The presentation's
> content intentionally excluded all vector species as well as species
> with bites or stings. One of the more remarkable stories involved a
> curator at the institution who developed symptoms of a bad sinus
> infection. After some suffering, he sneezed one day and found an adult
> insect in his handkerchief. It was a species that he had apparently
> inhaled during a less cautious moment using an aspirator in the field.
> Needless to say, the adult insect went into the collection...and was
> on view at the lecture.

This particular case is rather infamous; Paul D. Hurd, Jr., while in the
frigid North, was aspirating collembolans, and some of their eggs made
it past he filter of his aspirator. They hatched and grew into a
significant population, eventually leading to a severe sinus problem.
His doctor wrote this up and published it, and this brief note is today
the basis for tens of thousands of people who claim that it is medical
proof that collembolans are parasitic; there are now companies who
manufacture and sell medication to eliminate collembolan infections, to
cater to all of these people who believe they have collembolans
burrowing in their flesh.

Oh, well...