[Nhcoll-l] Komodo Dragon Skin problems

Brad Millen bradm at rom.on.ca
Wed Mar 13 10:22:51 EDT 2013

Hi All:

In November 2011 we received from the Toronto Zoo a large male Komodo Dragon, 'Doni'. This animal had been wild caught and introduced it's genes into the captive breeding program. Eventually 'Doni's' genes were spread through multiple generations. He became a 'grandfather' in the program.

When he came to us it was suggested that we place him on display as a mounted skeleton in our Biodiversity Gallery, where he now resides, and use the tanned skin for educational purposes. After finding a Tanner in Vernon, British Columbia that would tan the skin for us it was tanned and returned in mid-April of last year. We noticed then that the skin was somewhat dry. The skin was then rolled up and placed in a bag which sat upon a shelf in an office.

'Doni' as a mounted skeleton was placed in the gallery last Thursday and the skin was brought out for the little function that occurred that evening. When he was unrolled it soon became evident that it was even more dry than when originally stored away and scales were flaking off of the skin.

I and others are quite concerned about this skin and was wondering if any out there in the Natural History community might have some suggestions for us concerning remedial measures to stop the further deterioration of the skin.

Two suggestions internally are to apply lanolin and/or mineral oil to the skin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you feel that you would like to reply off of the list please do so to my email below.

Brad Millen
Natural History-Database (Ornithology)
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queen's Park