[Nhcoll-l] Seeking Protocols for Imaging Entomological Specimens

Tindall, Alexis (SAM) Alexis.Tindall at samuseum.sa.gov.au
Thu Mar 21 23:51:17 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Further to Roger's email below, the information available at Harvard's E-type initiative is also helpful: http://insects.oeb.harvard.edu/etypes/index.htm. They've got info about equipment and montaging processes, and workflow and data management issues.

Picking up on Roger's mention of standardised views I spent some serious time considering the list of recommended views supplied by MCZ at the link below, but didn't take their advice in full: http://insects.oeb.harvard.edu/etypes/specificimages.htm

A key focus of the SA Museum project was the notion of 'rapid' digitisation, and getting the data sorted as quickly as possible. We have approximately 8500 holotypes (and lecto-, syn- etc) and we decided to take a standard set of dorsal, lateral and labels views for each specimen. This was because

-          it would be more efficient (I could take the 6-8 views suggested by that list only to discover that for 7000 of those specimens, none of those images is ever used - whereas this was we get them all discoverable quickly, and if a taxonomist requires a different view for a specimen that is of interest, they can request it and add it to our image archive at that point as well)

-          we're working with a team of volunteer photographers, most of which have no entomological experience, so photographing 'stridulatory apparatus' and other such complexities was a bit much to ask

BUT these decisions were just suitable to the requirements of our project - others certainly have different views and are imaging in different circumstances. The Pests and Diseases Image Library (http://www.padil.gov.au/) takes a full set of taxonomic views for all specimens, that and their layout helps the viewer make comparisons between species.

How you choose to go with this depends on the demands of the project and the resources at hand.

Cheers,
Alexis