[Nhcoll-l] Labeling Hazardous Chemicals in Public Displays

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Sun Mar 24 07:57:29 EDT 2013

Sarah

Why not display the sticker prominently and use it as an educational opportunity…

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
 Andy Bentley
 Ichthyology Collection Manager
 University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
 Dyche Hall
 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
 Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
 USA

Tel: (785) 864-3863
Fax: (785) 864-5335
 Email: abentley at ku.edu<mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu<http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>

SPNHC President-Elect
http://www.spnhc.org<http://www.spnhc.org/>

                           :                 :
    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V

From: Sarah Huber <skhuber at vims.edu<mailto:skhuber at vims.edu>>
Date: Friday, March 22, 2013 2:08 PM
To: "nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu<mailto:nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu>" <nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu<mailto:nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu>>
Subject: [Nhcoll-l] Labeling Hazardous Chemicals in Public Displays

We recently build a new display for our coelacanth, and it includes a 75 gallon tank filled with ethanol which is recessed into the wall. We have been informed by our safety officers on campus that an ethanol hazardous waste sticker (4" x 6") must be affixed to the front of the tank to comply with fire safety regulations. Obviously, we would prefer not to have a large vinyl sticker on a $6,000 display that partially obscures the specimen and could possibly alarm the general public.

Can anyone advise on regulations for labeling hazardous chemicals, such as ethanol, in public displays, or point me to a good resource for finding this information.

Thank you,

Sarah

Sarah K. Huber, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor of Biology and Marine Science
Collection Manager, VIMS Ichthyology Collection
804.684.7104 | Collection 804.684.7285
skhuber at vims.edu<mailto:skhuber at vims.edu> | www.vims.edu
PO Box 1346 | Rt. 1208 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt., VA 23062

[VimsLogo]