[Nhcoll-l] Preservation & treatment of excavated faunal material

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Thu Oct 24 11:37:00 EDT 2013

Dear Elizabeth,

I am not sure whether you circulated your post on the Zooarch list also
- the mailing list of the archaeozoologist folks, which deal a lot with
animal remains from excavations. Maybe it would be worth to cross-post
your request.

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=zooarch

here is a link that guides to the curation of archaeozoological collections:
http://alexandriaarchive.org/bonecommons/items/show/1809

The guide was prepared in the course of a workshop held at the
Smithsonian; there, you might also find some advice:
http://anthropology.si.edu/archaeobio/zeder.html

All the best
Dirk

Am 24.10.2013 15:54, schrieb Scott, Elizabeth (DNR):

> My name is Elizabeth Scott.  I am the Natural History & Archaeology
> Preparator in the Conservation Department of the Indiana State Museum
> in Indianapolis Indiana (USA) and I am in the process of assessing our
> preservation and treatment practices (materials and methodology) for
> our institution's collections of excavated faunal material to ensure
> that they align with current standards.
>
> Our institution's excavated collections include archaeological
> (historic & prehistoric) and paleontological (primarily Cenozoic)
> material from general surface and subsurface soil contexts (e.g.,
> properties, fields, forests) and specialized contexts (e.g., sink
> holes, caves).
>
> The current scope of the research is limited to the conservation and
> preparation of bone, antler, horn, teeth & tusk materials (including
> culturally modified items).
>
> The primary research relates to materials and methodology for the
> preservation (focus on consolidation, mending and care) of the
> following four groups of items: 1. Mega-fauna (e.g., mastodont) bone
> material, 2. Teeth and tusk material, 3. Faunal material recovered
> from a cave context & 3. Culturally modified faunal material (e.g.,
> tools, accessories, decoration).
>
> I am looking to identify source support materials related to the
> primary research, and archaeology, paleontology, preparator and
> conservator contacts.  I would like some contacts to discuss our
> institution's past and present materials and methodologies with, and
> to discuss those used at their institution and in the field at large.
>
> Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
>
> Elizabeth M. Scott
>
> Natural History & Archaeology Preparator
>
> Conservation Department
>
> Indiana State Museum
>
> 650 W Washington St
>
> Indianapolis IN 46204
>
> 317-234-1731
>
> escott at indianamuseum.org
>
> ISM logo with blend

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/