[Nhcoll-l] Waste formalin denaturing

Alexandra Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Mon Apr 14 11:21:25 EDT 2014

Andrew,  Our protocol for neutralizing waste formalin, 5-10% decanted into
a closed head HP 30 gallon barrel:

128 g of sodium metabisulfite per 38 liters of used formalin. Stir and let
it sit for a couple of days.  Stir again, subsample and test with EM Quant
Formaldehyde test kit.  If test shows neutral, the neutalized formalin is
disposed of in the lab sink.

The sodium metabisulfite should be handled with care when measuring it.
 Wearing dust mask, safety glasses, and nitrile gloves are required.  The
stuff is like talcum powder so you need to wear protection against inhaling
or getting it in your eyes.    MSDS
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927590

There are trademark names for sodium bisulfite/metabisulfite (inorganic
salt) and various ways it is packaged.

Best wishes, Lex

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Andrew Stewart <AndrewS at tepapa.govt.nz>wrote:

>  Hi Folks
>

> I am looking for a way to cut the considerable costs to the Museum of
> commercial disposal of waste formalin. From a quick search of the web, it
> appears that catalytic oxidation with UV seems to be the way to go, but I
> was wondering if anyone has had any experience of doing this, or has a
> successful system in operation they’d be prepared to share.
>

> Thanks for your help!
>

> Andrew
>

> Andrew Stewart
>
> Collection Manager
>
> Museum of New Zealand
>
> DDI (04) 381-7314
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> >><<<))O>
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Visit the Te Papa website http://www.tepapa.govt.nz
> The email message together with the accompanying attachments may be
> *CONFIDENTIAL*. If you have received this message in error, please notify
> http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/onlineforms/enquiryform.aspx  immediately and
> delete the original message. The views expressed in this message are those
> of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them
> to be views of Te Papa.  Te Papa employs strict virus checking measures and
> accepts no liability for any loss caused either directly or indirectly by a
> virus arising from the use of this message or any attached file.

Alexandra M Snyder
Collections Manager-Fishes
Museum of Southwestern Biology
MSC01-2020 Department of Biology