[Nhcoll-l] barcoding pros and cons

Vladimir Blagoderov vblago at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 18:32:00 EST 2014

Dear Doug,

I do not think the situation is as pessimistic as you described it. I agree
that printing barcodes for insect specimens that already have GUIDs is in
many cases a waste of time. Unless you have a portable software/hardware
system that allows you to produce individual required barcode labels
instantaneously, of good quality and cheaply, barcoding of such material is
not feasible.

However, your circumstances are quite unusual for larger insect
collections. Vast majority of specimens in the largest collections never
had UIDs. Just a year ago only about 300,000 out of some 30,000,000 insects
in BMNH collection had specimen numbers, absolutely insignificant number.
If you digitise such collection, there is no problem of looking up old
GUID, finding the specimen and printing corresponding label. In mass
digitisation projects, such as BMHN's iCollections, assigning GUID,
printing barcodes and associating it with the specimen adds unnoticeable
amount to total time, just as long as it takes to pin one more label under
the specimen.

A few of more points:
>*when used for legacy material, they take up 150% of the space of a normal
insect label if they are positioned so as to make the 2D barcode scannable
from above - that means the same number of specimens takes up 150% more
unit trays, drawers, and cabinets, so the entire cost of physical storage
is multiplied by 150%*

Why don't you pin a barcode label last, facing down? Yes, it will not be
seen from above, but regular UID label is also obscured in most cases, you
have to handle the specimen to see what number it is. This way the barcoded
collection will take exactly the same amount of space. We pin barcode
labels facing up only with larger specimens, such as butterflies, larger
beetles and such, there barcode can be seen between parts of the insect.

>T*he bottom line for me is this: for our purposes, the contrast between
barcodes versus human-readable labels generally favors the **latter*"

Nothing prevents you to have both human-readable number and barcode on one
label, thus getting the best of both worlds.

>*If a curator needs to shift unit trays (or individual specimens) among
drawers or cabinets (due to expansion, consolidation, or changes in
classification), then they can simply do so without incurring any changes
in the database (other than changes in taxon ID, when needed); collections
whose database tracks the physical location of specimens incur a
significant workload any time specimens are moved around this way (the more
fine-scaled the location is recorded, the more work involved).*

Just because Museums do not use contemporary tracking systems it does not
mean it is a universal problem. Any decent warehouse has solved this
problem, they move thing around more often than curators do. It is costly,
requires a lot of development, but can be done. However, it is impossible
without machine-readable IDs, such as barcodes or RFIDs

Cheers,

Vlad

--
Dr Vladimir Blagoderov, FLS