[Nhcoll-l] Moldy herbarium glue

Benamy,Elana eb468 at drexel.edu
Tue Mar 4 09:57:20 EST 2014

Hello Folks,

We are having a problem with our herbarium glue getting moldy.  We have large white buckets of Lubrizol 2-723HV (high visc) white herbarium glue.  There is dark greenish/black mold on the surface of the glue in the bucket and the same mold growing in the smaller containers we pour it off into.  Does it all need to be discarded?  Is there a way to "clean off" the top and use the glue?  I understand that mycelia may have permeated all the glue.  I don't know how the mold was introduced.  We don't put anything into the bucket, but pour the glue out from a small spout without touching the inside of the bucket or glue.  We have two more buckets that have not been opened.  Is there anything that can be done to prevent mold growth in the unopened buckets (assuming they aren't already moldy)?

Has anyone else had this problem with their glue?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Elana Benamy
Botany Department
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
  eb468 at drexel.edu<mailto:eb468 at drexel.edu>