[Nhcoll-l] Care & Use of Natural History Museum Collections Class--your input requested

David Dyer DDyer at ohiohistory.org
Fri Mar 7 14:04:30 EST 2014

Hi Heather,

The number one skill that I would like to see in incoming curators, collections managers, students, and others is a skill that is basic and fundamental to the museum profession but is not often discussed, and that is the basic sensitivity and care in handling museum specimens. For lack of a better term, I've called it "museum sensibility". It's not quantifiable and not easy to discern in job interviews, but is critical to the preservation of museum specimens and to do one's job as a museum professional. It seems to be an innate skill, that you either naturally have it or you don't - but it can be learned. We've all seen examples of gross mishandling of specimens  and probably can share many horror stories. In my career, I've seen museum directors, curators, respected scientists, etc. who have authority over and direct access to natural history collections who demonstrate abominable and destructive care of collections. Usually this is not intentional but rather is from a lack of sensitivity or training. On the other hand, I've seen high school interns and beginning undergraduate students who have a remarkable sense of how to handle and care for specimens. In my last position, I hired and trained probably about 75 university students over the years to work directly in collections care. I would always try to discern in interviews and from references if they have the requisite skills and personality traits that translate to being thoughtful and careful in handling specimens and maintaining a collection.  Such phrases as "I'm a little bit OCD" or "I'm very organized" were music to my ears! Anyway, I think it's imperative that the museum community teach these skills to the next generation of museum professionals, and find a way to make it demonstrable in selecting candidates for collections-related positions.

Dave Dyer

David L. Dyer / Curator of Natural History
Ohio Historical Society / 800 East 17th Ave. Columbus, Ohio 43211
p. 614-298-2055 / f. 614-298-2089 / ddyer at ohiohistory.org
[ohio history facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/ohiohistoricalsociety>[ohio history twitter]<https://twitter.com/ohiohistory>
Visit the Natural History Blog at: http://apps.ohiohistory.org/naturalhistory/

"What do Annie Oakley, Ulysses S. Grant, and the Wright Brothers have in common with Ohio Tax Return? Find out here"