[Nhcoll-l] Translucent residue

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Tue Mar 11 05:29:39 EDT 2014

... any form of formaldehyde induced precipitation should be restricted
to the fluid, e.g. paraformaldehyde needles, cloudiness due to formalin
induced reactions etc. These precipitation should be reversal, i.e. it
should be able to remove these when washing the specimen jars under hot
water with normal dish washing detergent. In case of salt incrustations
this may take some time.

However, if this not a removable coating (at least in parts), you are
dealing with glass corrosion, which can be triggered by various causes
(normally promoted in ion-rich environments by a low pH level of the
fluid - which can also be specimen induced, e.g. leaching formic acids
from ants, wasps or other acid containing specimens).

All the best
Dirk

Am 11.03.2014 10:12, schrieb Tom Schioette:

> I doubt that what Mandy talks of is glass degradation, or at least if
> it is, then it is probably formalin-induced somehow. I see precisely
> the same thing which Mandy describes, and, like in her case, in
> glasses that have contained formalin, probably also with a component
> of seawater, although I never thought about the latter detail myself.
>
> Tom
>
> Tom Schiøtte
>
> Natural History Museum of Denmark (Zoology)
>
> Universitetsparken 15
>
> DK-2100 Copenhagen OE
>
> Denmark
>
> TSchioette at snm.ku.dk

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/