[Nhcoll-l] Data logging systems

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at CarnegieMNH.Org
Thu Mar 13 10:17:01 EDT 2014

Hi Amy,

We are working with Onset, with the Z-Series HOBO Data Loggers.  I have been happy with it for the most part.  We have approximately 50 nodes in 3 different buildings, the majority are in the main museum.  Access to the information is easy - both on and off-site.   We started the monitoring program as a survey to get a better handle on the complexity of our environmental systems and to develop strategies to improve conditions. We are working with Landmark Facilities Group, Inc. for the analysis and strategy development - just coming to the end of the 2 + year project.  I will soon be changing the configuration of the data we are collecting - moving some of the nodes.
Our challenge:  100+ year old complex of buildings with a range of environmental systems (ranging from the original steam heat systems to various HVAC systems from the 1960's to the 2000's).
Pros:

*        Easy to access data - a lot of data to track but the system is easy to quickly view - I can be off site and view it on my lap top

*        Improved communication between Conservation and Facilities

*        Easy installation - Note - you need to install close to a power source - so monitoring inside of exhibit cases and storage cases is complicated.  We had problems with the install-mostly due to the construction of the building.

*        Direct access to data - our Facilities Manager finds this system much easier to work with than the older environmental management system - he has been able to track and fix problems with HVAC systems much more quickly.

*        Ease of sending data to colleagues who need it.  With the number of nodes we have, we are working with a spreadsheet developed by Landmark Facilities Group that makes it easy to do. 50 nodes takes about 6 hours to download and transfer to the excel spread sheet which produces easy to read charts.  You can also do this directly from the HOBO software, but it takes longer.

*        Makes data comparisons easily.

*        System is a mesh network (Zigbee ?) so the nodes function as routers as well.

*        Incredible support from Onset.

*        Flexible - I can easily change the position of the nodes and update the system

Cons:

*        Wireless data nodes send weak signals.  Because of building construction (reinforced concrete, iron slag in concrete, and the huge amounts of metal in the building) we had to significantly increase the numbers of routers.  The signals are still weak, but the data has remained stable and constant once we got it up and running. I suspect that you will have

*        General Technical problems - the kind of thing that you run into whenever you have technology - crashed systems, IT issues (this is as much internal to the museum as it is getting the company to understand how the museum functions.

*        Inexpensive equipment - runs into some quality control issues - I just had 2 nodes fail and am trouble shooting right now. Onset is very helpful with this.

*        Must be plugged into a power source.  Battery backups.

Basically, I like the system.  It is much more efficient than collecting charts or downloading individual data loggers.  It is not perfect, but I like it.

Gretchen Anderson
Conservator
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
5800 Baum Blvd
Pittsburgh, PA 15202
Phone (412)665-2607
Andersong at CarnegieMNH.org<mailto:Andersong at CarnegieMNH.org>
http://www.carnegiemnh.org