[Nhcoll-l] European animal-by-product legislation (finally) amended

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Mon Mar 17 11:48:15 EDT 2014

Dear all,

with some delay and after long negotiations I am pleased to share the
latest information I received today from the European Commission, Dep.
Health & Consumers.

Since March 20013, the European animal-by-product legislation laid down
in COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No 294/2013 is amended as follows:

(8) Annex XIII is amended as follows:
(a) in Chapter VI, points C(1)(c) and (d) are replaced by the following:
‘(c) have been subject to an anatomical preparation such as by plastination;
(d) are animals of the biological class Insecta or Arachnida which have
been subject to a treatment, such as drying, to prevent any transmission
of diseases communicable to humans or animals; or
/(e) are objects in natural history collections or for the promotion of
science and they have been:
(i) preserved in media, such as _alcohol_ or f_ormaldehyde_, which allow
display of the items; or
(ii) _embedded completely on micro-slides_;
(f) are _processed DNA samples_ intended for repositories for the
promotion of biodiversity research, ecology, medical and veterinary
science or biology.’;/

Even though our materials are still covered under this regulation,

/For the promotion of science and biodiversity research, _*a
derogation*_ should be granted to repositories, scientific organisations
and museums as regards the collection, transport and use of animals or
parts of animals preserved in media, embedded completely on micro-
slides or as processed genetic samples. The requirements on game
trophies and other preparations as set out in Chapter VI of Annex XIII
to Regulation (EU) No 142/2011 should be amended accordingly./

full text available @:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2013:098:0001:0057:EN:PDF
(Without comment that hunters will profit from our negotiations ...)

Anyway,  this should significantly ease issues some of us faced when
(trying) to ship / import natural history specimens to the EU. In case
for import permits needed for imports to Switzerland (non-Eu but
Schengen Country) and the UK (EU but requiring import permits) it is
unclear at the moment if use of these permits is / will be discontinued.

With this derogation, all unjustified inspection costs can be claimed.
All European colleagues / museums are advised to contact their
respective border inspection posts as far as possible to check for or
communicate this recent amendment.

For packing & shipping, you should make sure that from the outer packing
it becomes clear to everyone (especially courier staff) that this parcel
includes preserved samples exchanged between biodiversity repositories /
scientific organisations / museums.

*We will be pleased to share this and further information in more detail
at our Shipping workshop at this year's SPNHC Conference at Cardiff:**
*

      Sunday 22rd June 2014 — Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales

        Workshop 1: Legal aspects of shipping preserved animals and tissues

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/spnhc2014/programme/

All the best
Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/