[Nhcoll-l] Nile crocodile specimens from Madagascar

Gandola R. rg3g13 at soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 19:39:48 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I am looking for specimens of Nile crocodiles from Madagascar that maybe available for research in collections? Ideally, specimens would have some accompanying locality data and I would also be able to take some small tissue samples from any available material for genetic analysis.

My PhD is focused on the conservation and ecology of Malagasy Nile crocodiles and I'm looking to supplement extensive field work with DNA from museum specimens. A number of European collections have specimens from places where crocodiles have been extirpated or are almost functionally extinct so there is the potential for really valuable info. to be had from museum collections. This use of museum specimens to aid crocodile conservation will constitute a chapter of my thesis.

Obviously, full acknowledgement and any necessary agreements etc. will be given/signed.

If you could reply to me directly that would be great.
Many thanks,
Rob