[Nhcoll-l] Strategic plan/vision for the collection community

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Jan 22 18:38:01 EST 2015

On 1/22/15 7:39 AM, Sublett, Clayton wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our collection is working on a strategic plan, and, as much as
> possible, I would like to work in goals of the natural history
> collections community.  Does anyone know if there is a strategic
> vision for natural history collections/museums? The Organization for
> Biological Field Stations handed out a strategic vision at their 2013
> meeting, and I was hoping something like this existed for
> collections.  Beyond the push to database, digitize, and make
> collection data available online, I'm not sure about the goals of the
> community.  Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

As others have already commented, though without much elaboration, it
strikes me that as a community most of our "strategy" boils down to
little more than damage control. Someone publishes a paper in Science
accusing collections-based scientists of driving species to extinction,
and we scramble to mobilize a rebuttal; some adminstrators somewhere
decide to shut down a major collection, and we scramble to flood them
with letters of support for the threatened collection. Rinse and repeat.
On the whole, we are generally on the defensive, and we either hold our
ground, or lose it - we never seem to advance - and that is about all
the exposure we can expect to get. The average person is more interested
in reading their horoscope than in reading anyone's mission statement,
so unless we are acting in the role of protesting something, and gaining
visibility thereby, no one is likely to pay any attention to us ("Don't
it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got til it's
gone"). Even within our own institutions, the higher administrative
levels tend to treat everything like a business, and very few
collections - especially if they have few or no public displays -
actually generate profit, and collections (like libraries) are therefore
more likely to be viewed as a form of charitable public service, to be
supported only so long as we don't cost TOO much to maintain, relative
to our PR value. It isn't clear to me, then, how any amount of advocacy
can really counteract such a fundamental and unavoidable fact; most
collections do not generate more revenue than they consume, and never
will. From an administrator's point of view, a collection is a hole into
which money pours but never comes back out. How can we make real
advances and promote our interests when we owe our existence to what
amounts to charitable forbearance?

More worrisome still, I will note that even within the community that we
serve, the role of traditional collections-based science is being
increasingly downplayed; the document Ellen Paul linked earlier, for
example, makes no explicit reference to legacy material or vouchered
specimens. There are many references to "knowledge" and "information"
and "data" (as well as three uses of the term "molecular"), but nothing
at all about museums or specimens. One can only presume that this
reflects an increasing number of systematists who do not feel that their
work requires any such infrastructure. In essence, every single point in
the stated agenda can be accomplished without requiring the actual
physical archival of (or reference to) whole organismal specimens,
maintained in public depositories. If the explicit vision for the future
of systematics as a discipline extols the virtues of molecular data but
does not mention museums, then we are facing a much deeper problem than
being misunderstood by our administrators; we are possibly looking at a
future where the taxonomic community that we have served for centuries
considers us irrelevant and archaic. Of the many taxonomists that have
visited our collection in the last several years, a fair number had
little or no interest in seeing or borrowing specimens that are more
than 10 years old, because they only wanted material from which they
could potentially extract DNA - and I imagine that trend will continue.
How long can we argue to maintain legacy material if we can't even point
to taxonomists that rely upon it?

Sincerely,

              https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cache.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_yanega.html&d=AwIC-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=vwMAUPO4eZQ6KZ-JSKmCHcKrmT9OCkQnhY5yo4oQ9TE&s=gW1fnlhUmwcSJWwetl4lJu7drsNTMhAchXZ--SYUeOw&e=