[Nhcoll-l] Rehydrating crustaceans

Lazo-Wasem, Eric eric.lazo-wasem at yale.edu
Thu Jun 25 11:29:40 EDT 2015

Dear Jamie,

I have been using "Aerosol OT," a wetting agent suggested to me by Bill Moser at the NMNH.  We have successfully been rehydrating tough as leather dried out leeches (140 years old) and amphipod crustaceans (types dried out from 1871).  The latter rehydrate so well that I can dissect the specimens and make permanent stained mounts in balsam.  Even plankton sample more than 50 years old have been rehydrated, and we can successfully mount copepods and daphniids after a weeks soak in A-OT.

An alternative is Tri-basic calcium phosphate, or the old house painters washing solution, TSP (tri-sodium phosphate).  Neither of these work nearly as well as Aerosol OT.

Eric Lazo-Wasem
Yale Peabody Museum