[Nhcoll-l] Upcoming Workshops on Scientific Collections & Food Security

Graham, Eileen GrahamE at si.edu
Thu Aug 4 11:49:19 EDT 2016

All,

Please see below for two upcoming opportunities to engage with other members of the collections communities on the topic of Food Security and how collections can contribute to this research.

Thanks!
Eileen

*********19-21 September, Beltsville, MD*********

Scientific Collections International is pleased to invite you to register<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_forms_I8ELlW0TqYG6RUeE2&d=CwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=6qsUw_I9UbkH67tVRqgnBAYuoWFWKmI9Q3MwPWkQYzU&s=XAegc5U57HuhpztvegULBX9HVDrao6StVQQItcKlKEs&e= > for our symposium, Stressors and Drivers of Food Security: Evidence from Scientific Collections. The symposium will be hosted by the US Department of Agriculture at the National Agriculture Library in Beltsville, Maryland, just outside Washington, DC, Monday to Wednesday, 19-21 September 2016.

This will be the first-ever symposium that brings together food security researchers and experts on scientific collections in diverse research disciplines. The symposium will be an ambitious look forward into food security research that relies on evidence drawn from scientific collections across a broad range of disciplines: from pests and parasites, to changing growing seasons and tolerances, to alternative food sources and more.

Our program will highlight research and collections from across many disciplines in both invited talks and panel discussions with participation from all attendees encouraged. We are excited to welcome our keynote speakers, including:

*         Dr. Catherine Woteki, Under Secretary for Research, Education, and Economics, USDA

*         Dr. David Inouye, professor emeritus at the University of Maryland and principal investigator at the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory

For more information about the event, please visit our website: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__scicoll.org_fs.html&d=CwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=6qsUw_I9UbkH67tVRqgnBAYuoWFWKmI9Q3MwPWkQYzU&s=A1mVv5_EFO07La8f95-6WLiPZk5rjJgEFbTgPYG-9ag&e= .

Attendance is free, but registration is required. Please complete the form available at this link: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_forms_D1w4XRbHdGJ32aeZ2&d=CwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=6qsUw_I9UbkH67tVRqgnBAYuoWFWKmI9Q3MwPWkQYzU&s=uIzjYc0ByVaT6T1LksU_WJ30DnJrg3j1X0FP85Ib9ec&e= . (If you have trouble accessing Google documents, please email Eileen Graham at grahame at si.edu.)

*********25 September, Orlando, FL *********

You are invited to participate in two workshops that take place just prior to the opening of the International Congress of Entomology: (1) Invasive Pests, Collections as Critical Infrastructure, and (2) Bee Pollinators, Critical Gene Banks. The workshops are sponsored by Scientific Collections International (SciColl) and the USDA Agricultural Research Service. The first workshop will be held in the morning and the second will start right after lunch, so you can attend one or both, as you wish. These brief workshops will increase international dialogue between those that manage scientific collections and those that use them.

In short, we will address the question: How can we better utilize collections to improve and conduct research, inform environmental policy-making, interdict invasive species, and protect pollinators?

Attached is the Agenda for both workshops. The registration site is:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__scicoll.arsnet.usda.gov&d=CwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=6qsUw_I9UbkH67tVRqgnBAYuoWFWKmI9Q3MwPWkQYzU&s=Cc1LgOCMgfGyFZqF0EJ8eTDdhSEHNIer2zirUfz249o&e=

If you plan to attend, please register (registration is free). After registering, you will automatically receive a confirmation email with the location of the workshop. The registration site will remain open until the meeting reaches maximum capacity for the room (about 100 attendees), so we urge you to register right away.

Eileen Graham, Program Manager
Scientific Collections International

e: grahame at si.edu<mailto:grahame at si.edu>
p: 202-633-0256
t: @sci_coll<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_sci-5Fcoll&d=CwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=6qsUw_I9UbkH67tVRqgnBAYuoWFWKmI9Q3MwPWkQYzU&s=Jn-CZXlZ7wz-CKdOA-_EEEqZ5RmCnoOpR2j9E7czYRs&e= >
w: www.scicoll.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.scicoll.org_&d=CwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=6qsUw_I9UbkH67tVRqgnBAYuoWFWKmI9Q3MwPWkQYzU&s=CPP0EyF_6i6wnQhuAT_z0cXuxj-fxhE5QC8aYWJ4R0s&e= >