[Nhcoll-l] Tsunami deposit needing preservation for display

Bird, Alison (NRCan/RNCan) alison.bird at canada.ca
Tue Aug 23 12:48:06 EDT 2016

Hello,

We have a 4'x3' sample of subsurface layers, including tsunami-deposited sands, which was acquired via trenching. A glue is applied to the trench wall, then cloth. When the cloth is peeled away, tsunami layers, along with dirt, grass, roots, etc. are all clinging to the cloth. This is then adhered to a piece of plywood.

We are investigating what might be the best method to preserve this sample, so that it doesn't disintegrate and so that the biological material doesn't decay. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alison L. Bird
Earthquake Seismologist / Sismologue de Tremblement de Terre
Geological Survey of Canada / Commission géologique du Canada
   alison.bird at canada.ca<mailto:alison.bird at canada.ca>
   https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__earthquakescanada.ca&d=CwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=JlqUPj9MAoFIRHqlyU5IaT96HplglIt_gDMwvGMbp5Q&s=SE3NfUhHd-E3nY_FKvf4I497Ppo4SO6vX_G9cJZLFIk&e=
   250.363.6432