[Nhcoll-l] collector & determiner identities

David Baxter dbaxter at berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 18 11:52:10 EST 2016

Hi David,

At UC/JEPS we use CollectionSpace (CSpace) as our specimen database. In
CSpace, there are separate tables for collectors (i.e. recordedBy) and
determiners (i.e. identifiedBy), as well as nomenclatural authorities and
type assertion authorities. All of these "organizations" tables are related
to a separate "persons" table, which is like the "agents" table you
describe.

Have a table is great, but keeping it up is another thing. We have done
pretty well with keeping our "organizations" linked up to "persons" from
our earliest digitization project to digitize California plant specimens,
but as we've gone further afield it becomes more difficult. You point out
the various complications in maiden and married names, etc., and staff and
digitization students (not to mention OCR in Symbiota) cannot reliably
resolve the ambiguities and record the links in the persons table.

To answer your question, we do not record ORCIDs in our persons table, but
it would make an excellent addition to CSpace and can be done.
Collection-wide it is difficult to keep a perfectly related "persons"
table, but perhaps directed efforts at contemporary "persons of interest"
to determine their output would be feasible and constructive.

And regarding collector name order, at least in plants the first name is
the "main collector", i.e. the person to whom the recordNumber corresponds,
and all subsequent names fall into the same category of "other collectors",
where the order isn't necessarily related to level of contribution

As a side note regarding aggregation at the Consortium of California
Herbaria, back way before the days of ORCIDs, my predecessor kept a
canonical list of California collectors and in the process of aggregation
he munged all collectors into consistent strings. The scope of CCH has
grown so much since then that this is no longer kept up either, but perhaps
with the advent of ORCIDs the existing dormant information could be put to
use again?

David