[Nhcoll-l] collector & determiner identities

Macklin, James James.Macklin at AGR.GC.CA
Fri Feb 19 11:05:19 EST 2016

Hi David,

Outside of the various flavours of collection management systems there really needs to be a standardized controlled vocabulary of these various "agents" which is maintained and some form of web services available. In botany, we have had at least one publically accessible list of collectors and authors which has been maintained and curated for decades, the Harvard University Herbaria Index of Botanists: http://kiki.huh.harvard.edu/databases/botanist_index.html  This list has many of the attributes you mention. The agent fields included are quite comprehensive and include reference to more than the "who" including "what, where, when" See the Carl Linnaeus example here...

http://kiki.huh.harvard.edu/databases/botanist_search.php?mode=details&id=92

You will also note that GUIDs are assigned to each agent. The AppleCore group are recommending this Index as a controlled vocabulary for authors and collectors associated with specimen records (note that this group is actively working on the AppleCore best practice again; new home to be announced soon).

In relation to the social aspects, it could be interesting to use the Harvard Index and map across the networks of collectors as this includes at least some "team-based" collecting information.

In my experience, the first collector listed on the label should be the one associated with the field number. In some cases where teams go in the field and labels are commonly generated, I have seen the other collector's numbers in parentheses beside their names. I think we will recommend this in AppleCore as at least this would be parseable... Of course, institutional or project-based numbers make this association game even more complicated.

Lots of fun in this space :-)

Best,  James

James Macklin, PhD
Research Scientist: Botany and Biodiversity Informatics
Associate Curator, DAO Herbarium
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada