[Nhcoll-l] SAVE THE DATE: 18-20 May 2016 "Stressors and Drivers of Food Security: Evidence from Scientific Collections"

Schindel, David schindeld at si.edu
Mon Feb 22 15:17:07 EST 2016

We are excited to announce the dates and keynote speakers for "Stressors and Drivers of Food Security: Evidence from Scientific Collections".  The symposium prospectus and preliminary agenda can be found at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_V9I5pL&d=AwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=UmuSGmhgldn7I0v_Ne7IxfObbp-B1cFUjfRJ3766rCs&s=mUGt9tIosRjILIk7590q9Fd6XRg2laFMpZ186Jyq1fA&e= .  This will be the first-ever symposium that brings together food security researchers and experts on scientific collections in diverse research disciplines.  The symposium will be an ambitious look forward into food security research that relies on evidence drawn from scientific across a broad range of disciplines.  Participation will be limited to 100 and attendees will be selected to ensure a productive mixture of:

  *   Researchers using diverse approaches to basic and applied research on food security and insecurity; and

*         Representatives of scientific collections in anthropology, archaeology, biomedicine, biodiversity, ecology, ethnobiology, geology, paleontology, parasitology, veterinary sciences, and others.
The US Department of Agriculture will host the symposium at the National Agriculture Library in Beltsville, Maryland, just outside Washington, DC, on Wednesday to Friday, 18-20 May 2016.  The symposium is being organized by Scientific Collections International (SciColl; www.scicoll.org), an initiative devoted to increasing the use and impact of scientific collections for interdisciplinary  research.
Three outstanding keynote speakers will set the stage for two days of highly interactive panel discussions, breakout groups, and the integration of ideas between researchers and collections professionals.  Our keynote speakers will be:

  *   Dr. Ann Bartuska, Deputy Under Secretary for Research, Education & Economics, US Department of Agriculture, an ecosystems ecologist and USDA representative to the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES);
  *   Dr. Vera Lucia Imperatriz-Fonseca, a pollination biologist at the University of Sao Paolo, Brazil, and Co-Chair of the IPBES Experts for thematic assessment of pollinators, pollination and food production; and
  *   Dr. Gary Nabhan, an ethnobiologist, agroecologist, conservation biologist, cultural geographer, and W.K. Kellogg Chair in Southwest Borderlands Food and Water Security at the University of Arizona.
The workshop's focus on collections as resources for interdisciplinary research will enable the workshop's participants to take a fresh look at food security research and ask:

  *   What kinds of data would we really like to have about the drivers of food security and the stressors that increase food insecurity?
  *   What evidence can we find about these drivers and stressors in different environments and regions, and even going back in time?
  *   What can the booms and busts of food security through history teach us about the causes of food insecurity?  What can it teach us about potential food sources that can withstand the stressors that threaten food security?
We invite you to fill out this form<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__goo.gl_forms_IFzsKjVJjx&d=AwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=UmuSGmhgldn7I0v_Ne7IxfObbp-B1cFUjfRJ3766rCs&s=jwKp1pbiSPTHvq4oEi5RO_nk_E4QYdkVUJQVWF36Cc4&e= > (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__goo.gl_forms_IFzsKjVJjx&d=AwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=UmuSGmhgldn7I0v_Ne7IxfObbp-B1cFUjfRJ3766rCs&s=jwKp1pbiSPTHvq4oEi5RO_nk_E4QYdkVUJQVWF36Cc4&e= ) as your expression of interest.  Providing this information will ensure that you receive future symposium announcements.  The draft agenda and call for contributed presentations will be distributed by 1 March 2016.
Please visit Scientific Collections International's website (www.scicoll.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.scicoll.org&d=AwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=UmuSGmhgldn7I0v_Ne7IxfObbp-B1cFUjfRJ3766rCs&s=6mLxqxTn1sXom5vXe6zgoqNVmZaTTI7JC2s8-X_suCY&e= >) for more information.
We look forward to seeing many of you at the symposium in May!
With best regards,
David E. Schindel, Chair
SciColl Executive Board
Eileen Graham, Program Manager