[Nhcoll-l] Seeking Info. on Whale Skeleton

Casey Tucker tuckercasey at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 10 19:37:01 EST 2016

I'm passing this along. Please contact Eric Archer directly (see below).
C. Tucker*************************************************************
I am trying to track down the skeleton of a fin whale (*Balaenoptera physalus*) that was once hanging at the Wistar Institute in Philadelphia,PA USA.
The skeleton was collected by Edward Cope from San Clemente, California in 1895 and donated to the Wistar a few years later. It was described in True 1904. "The Whalebone Whales of the Western North Atlantic" as measuring 62 feet, 10 inches long. The name applied by Cope for this specimen was *Balaenoptera velifera*, originally described in 1869, currently synonymized with *B. physalus*. As there doesn't appear to be any surviving material for the holotype of*Balenoptera velifera*, the specimen from the Wistar Institute would be the next candidate to designate as a lectotype for a new subspecies of fin whales in the eastern north Pacific: *Balaenoptera physalus velifera*.
The skeleton is no longer at the Wistar Institute. I have been in touch with directors at the Wistar and scoured the internet and the evidence is that sometime soon after a new director, Hilary Koprowski, arrived in 1957, the skeleton was shipped to the Field Museum in Chicago. However, the current curator of the mammal collection at the Field Museum says that the skeleton is not in their collection nor does anyone there have any recollection or knowledge of it. It is also not in the Smithsonian or atthe American Natural History Museum.
If anyone has any knowledge of this specimen or knows of someone who might, I would greatly appreciate their contact information. I am currently working on writing up the description for this subspecies and would like to
identify the lectotype as well as potentially obtain some bone sample for
mitochondrial DNA sequencing. Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Eric Archer----
*Eric Archer, Ph.D.*
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
NMFS, NOAA
8901 La Jolla Shores Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037 USA
858-546-7121 (work)
858-546-7003 (FAX)https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__swfsc.noaa.gov_mmtd-2Dmmgenetics_eric.archer-40NOAA.GOV&d=AwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=urj-nPNBvi1KUTrvsyPq3H_WkBsscHHQXPTpL5s_-QI&s=z8WLTmG6JoumeF92CF5RFtvxk_xbmLHQK6b6kFK089U&e=