[Nhcoll-l] Another excellent article on the value of collections

Casey Tucker tuckercasey at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 25 17:33:32 EST 2016

Hi All,
One of the things that I see as a common thread to these posts regarding the value of collections, and the intertwined value of the institutions that house these collections, is that the value is being ascribed by curators, researchers and other users of those collections.  On the one hand this makes sense because these individuals are most familiar with those collections and specimens, and I'm sure they hold a special place in those individual's hearts given the amount of time and effort invested in those collections.
However when it comes to advocating for the value of these institutions it becomes somewhat difficult for an outsider (typical museum visitor) to relate, even when we try and relate the value of collections and their associated research to their everyday lives.
Instead perhaps we need to start seeking input from visitors about what collections, or at least those they have access to in displays, means to them.
The Royal Ontario Museum has done a great job with this through a book they've published.  The book titled, "Every Object has a Story," highlights different iconic objects found at the ROM, and these highlights were written by local Toronto artists and celebrities about what those objects mean to them.  When I purchased this book in late October I was told that local community leaders commonly gift this book to visiting dignitaries, celebrities, and others.  This not only illustrates how much the ROM means to Toronto as a science and cultural center, but how much its collections mean to the people of Toronto.  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.rom.on.ca_en_collections-2Dresearch_books-2Dmagazine_rom-2Dbooks&d=AwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=7dRfmBJ0g9AIXbiZOoepns6YAYBBSf2c1MHJ5s2Z5SA&s=nvs0-piNyql9sIjHM1_zG0brq58efkcwJM_FMLuq8BE&e=
Of course this can always be expanded on through multimedia and other forms of outreach, but I think it's important to share what the collections mean to visitors; celebrity or otherwise. We make collections "available" to visitors through exhibits or special behind-the -scenes tours, like at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History's monthly member's only tours. We need to embrace what visitors gain out of these encounters.
Just something to consider.
Kind Regards,
Casey TuckerAdjunct InstructorBiology/Natural ScienceCentral Ohio Technical Collegetucker.468 at cotc.edu