[Nhcoll-l] Larval Fish Workshop Announcement

Gil Nelson gnelson at bio.fsu.edu
Thu Jan 28 18:24:56 EST 2016

Hi, Sarah

I am interested in this from the imaging perspective, especially for
sharing techniques through iDigBio workshops. Any chance I might be able
to take just the imaging in without attending the entire workshop? Maybe
we can discuss this in Illinois in a few weeks. No worries if you can't
accommodate.

Best,

Gil

On 1/28/2016 1:24 PM, Sarah K. Huber wrote:

> *Larval Fish Workshop *
>
> *June 6 - 17, 2016*
>
> The Virginia Institute of Marine Science Nunnally Ichthyology
> Collection in Gloucester Point, VA, is home to a large ichthyoplankton
> collection. This collection contains samples from the tropical and
> northern Pacific Ocean, the Southern Ocean, the Amazon Plume, Sargasso
> Sea, the Caribbean, the Mid- and South Atlantic Bights, and the
> Chesapeake Bay. As part of our current NSF CSBR grant, we are hosting
> a larval fish workshop from June 6 - 17, 2016.
>
> *Workshop Goals*
>
> 1) how to sort and identify larval fishes
>
> 2) preparation, storage, and curation of larval fish collections
>
> 3) imaging techniques for larval fishes
>
> The workshop is open to students, collection managers, curators, and
> other museum and research professionals. The workshop is free;
> however, participants will be responsible for covering the cost of
> transportation, lodging, and meals.
>
> **
>
> *Week One*
>
> The focus of the first week of the workshop will be on samples from
> the Southern Ocean and western tropical Atlantic (in and adjacent to
> the Amazon River plume and the Caribbean Sea).
>
> *Week Two*
>
> The second week will emphasize samples from the Sargasso Sea,
> Chesapeake Bay, and the Gulf of Maine.
>
> Participants will sort and identify ichthyoplankton samples to the
> family level under the guidance of five expert larval fish
> taxonomists: Drs. Jeff Leis (University of Tasmania), William Watson
> (Southwest Fisheries Science Center, NOAA), Nalani Schnell (Muséum
> National d’Histoire Naturelle), G. David Johnson (Smithsonian
> Institution), and Peter Konstantinidis (VIMS).
>
> The workshop is limited to 12 participants. Applicants can attend both
> weeks of the workshop or either the first or second week. However,
> preference will be given to individuals that are able to attend both
> weeks. Applications are due on April 1^st , 2016 and a notification of
> acceptance will be made by April 15^th , 2016. If interested please
> contact Dr. Peter Konstantinidis (peterk at vims.edu
> <mailto:peterk at vims.edu>) for an application.
>

> Sarah K. Huber, Ph.D.
> Curatorial Associate, VIMS Nunnally Ichthyology Collection
> Office 804.684.7104 | Collection 804.684.7285
> skhuber at vims.edu | www.vims.edu
> PO Box 1346 | 1375 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt., VA 23062

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=9pcABH8UPO_M-UM6yhlBzGFkdosW19LKroKrOAdwqSA&s=xSRemdjRyaMatTL-qUWej5fC0HyXUemivNg7f5URZa0&e=  for membership information.

Gil Nelson, PhD
Assistant Professor/Research
iDigBio Steering Committee
Integrated Digitized Biocollections
Institute for Digital Information and Scientific Communication
College of Communication and Information

Courtesy Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Robert K. Godfrey Herbarium
Florida State University