[Nhcoll-l] Fire Marshall Regulations

Kirsten Nicholson norops at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 05:31:35 EDT 2016

I'm very curious about the responses you get to your request for info,
Sarah, if you would be willing to share. We are going through a
fluids rehousing project right now as a result of a large off-gassing issue
in our fluids collections, but as a result of that, our on campus safety
people told us that in addition to container size problems (which I
understand you can negotiate with them when you have very large specimens),
but they also told us that the room itself was not rated for the amount of
fluids we have in there. We do not yet have the yellow Flammables cabinets
that some have, but even if we got those we'd have too much alcohol than is
allowed in a room that size. However, we were told that if we were to
install a fire suppression system in the room then we would be ok, but of
course those can be very expensive to install and each has its problems
associated with it, so we're looking to move to another location in hopes
of solving all our problems.

Kirsten

--
Kirsten E. Nicholson, Ph.D

*Assoc. Prof. Biology          and       Curator of Natural HistoryDept. of
Biology                             Museum of Cultural and Natural
History217 Brooks Hall                            103 Rowe HallCentral
Michigan Univ.                 Central Michigan University Mt. Pleasant, MI
48859                 Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859989-774-3758
             989-774-3829*