[Nhcoll-l] sealing petri dishes for storage

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Mon Jun 27 10:30:02 EDT 2016

Hi Dee,

might be worth to get into contact with mirri-people for dry storage of
cultures; one of their partners might be "close" to you
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mirri.org_consortium_partner.html&d=CwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=re1QEwRa3teq5Z9UZqhiuEbv5zuxlNg1xT6p-TNrO_4&s=VF2mJyqIPt_Rzd5lt_UTCNQRdK2_TYnSK0N75Hfowfo&e=

They might have more or different expertise ...
All the best
Dirk

Am 27.06.2016 um 16:24 schrieb Christian Baars:

> Hi Dee,
>
> Many, many (too many!) years ago I spent a summer looking after the
> Senckenberg Museum’s https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.senckenberg.de_&d=CwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=re1QEwRa3teq5Z9UZqhiuEbv5zuxlNg1xT6p-TNrO_4&s=U_XcuX5cGoXV7Swhh15sAT3P4znT7X1kGC4G9isrvxQ&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.senckenberg.de_&d=CwMFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=McDCvnHFK-XGuw_CKu9yfZMr6akst7lzQJOWEGpGZh0&s=1oO3DMD-_ATozmXStsXBbfNBVlhl2tKTPGwsZEw4EdY&e=>
> live fresh water algal collections (when they still existed; to my
> knowledge they don’t have them anymore, at least the field station
> where the collection was kept does not exist anymore). They used to
> store algae in either in liquid in culture vessels, or on agar plates
> in petri dishes. Either way, both the vessel openings and the edges of
> the petri dishes were taped up with Parafilm which is breathable
> enough to allow for gas exchange but should keep unwanted spores out.
> I can’t see why the same technique shouldn’t work well for mould
> cultures so I would give it a go.
>
> Ironically, we had to check the cultures on a weekly basis for mould
> infection and, if necessary, pick out individual algal cells to start
> new, clean cultures.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Christian
>
> Christian Baars PhD AMA
>
> Senior Preventive Conservator  |  National Museum Cardiff  |
> Department of Collection Services  |  Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3NP, UK
>
> Telephone: +44 (0)29 2057 3302  |  E-mail:
> christian.baars at museumwales.ac.uk
> <mailto:christian.baars at museumwales.ac.uk> |  Twitter: @NMWPrevCons
> |  Blog: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.museumwales.ac.uk_blog_-3Fcat-3D2484&d=CwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=re1QEwRa3teq5Z9UZqhiuEbv5zuxlNg1xT6p-TNrO_4&s=IvQQk8mCHipjqExA8oIek4bxhJkwfj7qO-dfyQoLTLE&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.museumwales.ac.uk_blog_-3Fcat-3D2484&d=CwMFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=McDCvnHFK-XGuw_CKu9yfZMr6akst7lzQJOWEGpGZh0&s=IvVpgkiOSGCYxHGZ5n6_NqhUqAV9WDWGzAOggZzbUVI&e=>

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=CwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=re1QEwRa3teq5Z9UZqhiuEbv5zuxlNg1xT6p-TNrO_4&s=-XLdRisphSLfViQprhQBM7soPjKS1BNGHe3NgbFVl_Q&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: