[Nhcoll-l] URGENT MESSAGE FOR ANYONE PLANNING TO HAND CARRY IMPORTS/EXPORTS

RUTLAND, TRUDY R TRUDY.R.RUTLAND at CBP.DHS.GOV
Tue Jun 28 12:11:48 EDT 2016

Would the APHIS webinar on Live Animals be useful?  I’m not sure if it addressed hand carried imports, but it is on the BIEC page under the webinar section (January 20, 2016):
www.cbp.gov/biec<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cbp.gov_biec&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=yTYZds0XEtZKZxAUFzcK5unIIMsHqtroxFJG5Wk3ruk&s=FTHX3-9t89C92qUI-EwZqvNyKsc3HBapCj-A1DIVDhw&e= >

The webinars are listed chronologically, so scroll to the right date.

Regards

Trudy

From: Ellen Paul [mailto:ellen.paul at verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 10:58 AM
To: Bulletin Board for Bird Collections and Curators
Cc: NHCOLL-new; Mammalian Biology; Hunter, Dawn K - APHIS; RUTLAND, TRUDY R
Subject: Re: URGENT MESSAGE FOR ANYONE PLANNING TO HAND CARRY IMPORTS/EXPORTS

I am slowly putting together the pieces on ACE (Automated Commercial Environment) "entry" filing requirements. Please bear with me.

I didn't mean to imply yesterday that this affects only hand-carried imports. It affects ALL imports. I focused first on hand-carry because people who are going to ship in the very near future have an easy fix for those upcoming shipments: Use a customs broker. In fact, as most of you are using FedEx, just switch over to FedEx Trade  Network<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.ftn.fedex.com_&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=yTYZds0XEtZKZxAUFzcK5unIIMsHqtroxFJG5Wk3ruk&s=j7ZTST4cUIATmRZJ8rU8P9fyrUUPHaEgNh5TSsQ4EJQ&e= >. It is the FedEx in-house custom brokerage and basically set up to handle all shipments that require permits, declarations, etc.

Caveat - this is not going to work for shipments moving on CITES permits (i.e., that require validation). I have yet to see a customs broker handle validation correctly. But for all else, it should be fine.

Another caution: I believe that you are going to have to do this for shipments moving on COSE as well. I will look into it, but I'd be surprised if they've made an exemption. I asked to be added to the stakeholder group and they said yes, but I've heard nothing more since then.

Longer term, your choice will be to continue using FedEx Trade Network OR register (a labyrinth process) and then file these things yourself before you head back (or ship back) to the U.S. I am starting the registration process myself now and hit a brick wall right away. First thing you do is call and ask them to assign you a representative. Guess what? Voice mail. But as I walk through it, I will take detailed notes and share everything I learn here.

Implementation timetable, FWIW:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.cbp.gov_sites_default_files_documents_PGA-2520Pilot-2DCommodities-2520Status-2520-2D-2520Nov.-25202015.pdf&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=yTYZds0XEtZKZxAUFzcK5unIIMsHqtroxFJG5Wk3ruk&s=OWjrIjRr6-ABjYjtZfcdV_WwISwwybrG9RtVJAE65co&e=

Clearly they didn't meet their own deadlines in some cases and in some cases, they are ahead of the announced dates, even enforcing it without advance notice to anyone. APHIS "CORE" which I assume includes wildlife because the only other APHIS is Lacey Act, which is for plants, was supposed to have been Nov. 2015. Yesterday, I was told July 23 (three weeks from now). Yet Detroit, at least, is already enforcing it for APHIS imports.

For USFWS, the schedule says "planned Feb 2016" - to be announced by agency.

Ellen Paul
Executive Director
Ornithological Council<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nmnh.si.edu_BIRDNET&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=yTYZds0XEtZKZxAUFzcK5unIIMsHqtroxFJG5Wk3ruk&s=oznhMaJT-TNswTFnJwXTSogDTkMVFze3_Lj5dW0v3NY&e= >
Providing Scientific Information about Birds