[Nhcoll-l] Seeking advice for classification of herbarium specimens in museum

Peter Rauch peterar at berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 3 13:32:18 EST 2016

My only caveat regarding the proportional allocation of existing cabinets
to the existing collection (of 30,000 sheets(?)), is to reassure yourselves
that the existing collection was not built up by "specialty" collecting (of
select families, genera, species) which might easily mis-represent the
eventual taxonomic profile (proportions) of your growing(?) collection.

You will have to estimate how large your collection will be allowed
(funded?) to grow. You mention that your are space-limited, but you don't
indicate whether you've already outgrown your existing collection, your
projected growth, and/or your goals. It's not just where to store the next
specimen, but where/when  to install the next cabinet(s), which might help
you to plan the allocation across taxa of existing shelf space.

Peter