[Nhcoll-l] Vault - off gassing

J Claire Dean clairedean at aol.com
Mon Mar 7 18:46:35 EST 2016

I work in South Africa as a consulting conservator on a pretty regular
basis (Rock Art Research Institute (RARI), Univ. of the Witwatersrand,
Johannesburg, since 2000) and sadly, I am very familiar with"super wood".
It is basically the worst version of MDF (medium-density fiberboard) you
can imagine.  It is stuffed with various solvents, resins and other
chemicals that off-gas for forever.  We have tried to ban its use at RARI
(in our archives and collections facilities) and while we have not been
100% successful, we have managed to get rid of most of it.

It is used for all the reasons that are obvious - it is cheap, easy to
obtain, easy to fabricate with, appears to be very strong, although heavier
than all heck.  Another problem I suspect exists is that it's formulation
is not standardized and certainly varies across manufacturers.  This
opinion is based purely on empirical observation (i.e. smell testing), as I
have not been able to obtain hard data on the composition of the stuff.
What I also know is that "super-wood". varnished back in 2002-ish, is still
giving off strong odours to this day.

It is imperative that this stuff not be used near collections.  Knowing
that this is pretty much impossible to accomplish in South Africa, it is
even more important that it be sealed with multiple coats of low VOC
varnishes and/or paints.  I would also recommend using a barrier, such as
Marvelseal, but I suspect it is hideously expensive in South Africa (as it
would be imported), if you can get it at all.

You might like to take a look at this online published poster on sealing MDF
(see link below).  Also, searching the conservation literature substituting
"MDF" for "super-wood" in the search string might be helpful.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.conservation-2Dus.org_docs_default-2Dsource_annualmeeting&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=hL4Qn8QciQLMvEB3zObkHScuMCZI0g6aBli4mGhA0m4&s=Abpun9L0mgLijBA3E21Vfb4X7_DdxQ6SBIjumY-Uu-Y&e=
/2015am_poster_6.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Best wishes,

Claire

J. Claire Dean