[Nhcoll-l] Multiple numbers

Thomas J Trombone trombone at amnh.org
Thu Mar 10 14:04:05 EST 2016

Hi Paul,

Funny you should use birds as your example, as the AMNH Ornithology Department does just this. Since our collection's inception we have assigned different catalog numbers to the various elements derived from the same bird, and in fact now have five independent catalog number series: skins, skeletons, alcohol specimens, tissue samples, and egg/nest sets. A bird may be represented by one or more numbers in any of those series (depending on which preparations exist in our collection) and the numbers are entirely independent of one another., i.e., skin 800,000 may correspond to skeleton 30,000 and to tissue 20,000.

We considered moving away from this system a few years ago but decided for the sake of expediency that it was best to maintain it. For one thing, the different numbers have appeared in publications over the years. Moreover, we had no interest in physically renumbering existing specimens to match a new unified approach.

Personally, I think it's best to go with a single catalog number per organism or lot if you have the choice. A drawback to our current approach is that there is no single number series that applies to every bird in our collection. That is to say, a bird specimen consisting of simply a skin might be described by AMNH SKIN 800,000, while a specimen consisting of only a skeleton may be AMNH 30,000 (which is an entirely different bird than the one numbered AMNH SKIN 30,000.) And a bird consisting of a skeleton and a tissue sample might be described by AMNH SKEL 30,000 *and* AMNH DOT 20,000. Of course you run into an analogous problem involving suffixes with a single-number system, but at least you can say for sure which bird a given integer refers to: the number 5,000 would apply to only one bird, whereas at AMNH that number has been used five times, for an unrelated skin, skeleton, alc, tissue, and egg/nest.

My two cents.

Tom

Thomas J. Trombone
Data Manager
Division of Vertebrate Zoology - Ornithology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West @ 79th Street
New York, NY 10024-5192
Phone: (212) 313-7783