[Nhcoll-l] Vial jar system for easier specimen collection maintenance

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Sat Mar 19 05:43:12 EDT 2016

... agree with Paul; especially against aggressive denaturants plastic
bags might turn out to fail. We have been using tea bags (e.g. to
protect remove gill arches of larger fishes) - the larger ones which,
you can buy at a supermarket to fill in open (not pre-bagged) tea.

Disadvantage: you have to tear the bag if you want to remove contained
specimens / parts again; not a good solution if contained
samples/specimens are highly frequented
Advantage: bolsters included specimen

Cotton plugs: to avoid this, the colleagues in Berlin changed to very
fine, high-quality Japan paper, if I am not completely wrong.

All the best
Dirk

Am 18.03.2016 um 19:46 schrieb Callomon,Paul:
> My reservation about trying the bags-in-jars method would be that we don't know what long-term effects the plastic might have on the fluid, or vice-versa.
> Some while back one of my predecessors submerged hundreds of glass vials with phenolic resin screw caps in jars of ethanol. Over the years, exudates from the plastic turned the alcohol a rich tan color - and in every case I've examined so far, the screw caps backed off so far that they are completely loose, negating the purpose of putting them in there in the first place.
> The point being, then, that one should perhaps avoid submerging any materials in ethanol for the long term unless they've been shown to remain unchanged.
>

> Paul Callomon
> Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
>
> Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
> 1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
> callomon at ansp.org Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=yqwWGlSBpb7Pao1RpVBEHqHYApI_G0LD5MobW6_845w&s=vpjcOx02exIt3yenUTclLU3NBFdwCevKM_ye-KQdAfg&e=  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=yqwWGlSBpb7Pao1RpVBEHqHYApI_G0LD5MobW6_845w&s=EoSIXO_pnEABC03FbDtSz7Uuxly9KrktDWVkDvVghCo&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: