[Nhcoll-l] Fan Coral Specimen Preservation

Greene, Lisa llgreene at gov.bm
Wed Nov 23 08:59:46 EST 2016

Hi Megan,
It is my understanding that members of the order Alyconacea should be stored in ethanol. If it is now in formalin, I would put it in a water bath for 24 hours and then into a 30% ethanol solution for a day or so and then a 50% for a day or so and then store it in 70% or 75% ethanol.
I would also record this process and associate it with the specimen record somehow.

I am interested in hearing what others suggest.
Lisa

Collections Officer,
Museum of Natural History,
Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo,