[Nhcoll-l] deterioration of study skins in natural history collections

Kevin Winker kevin.winker at alaska.edu
Tue Nov 29 15:49:43 EST 2016

Steffen, you've probably already looked into similar research for the
deterioration of leather bindings in books. There, the condition widely
known as "red rot" produces a drastic weakening of the skin as you
describe, a byproduct of acidic tanning processes. The best product I've
used to counter its effects is sold as "cellugel". It's fairly expensive
and does not bring the leather back to its strong original condition, but
it does stabilize it fairly well. There is another product available in the
UK (shipping issues with alcohol limits is availability), here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.leatherconservation.org_products_sc6000_&d=CwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=WN8dGR-7dZBcQ0lM16v1JVtXD8iTuflQCZUe1xNZXdk&s=6TPZvQXi83K5yGmyOs9Xic4C_rKnIjOnpX9QI89r6Zk&e=

You might try these, or investigate other methods to introduce a
matrix-fixing and perhaps de-acidifying solution into the deteriorating
skins.

Regards, K.

Kevin Winker
University of Alaska Museum