[Nhcoll-l] DNA samples suggestions

Nezka Pfeifer curator at everhart-museum.org
Thu Oct 27 10:53:21 EDT 2016

Dear Karen and Lena,
While my experience with DNA sampling of taxidermy is minimal, often the
chemical process of taxidermy interferes/destroys viable DNA material, but
it has been done on some of the bird mounts (passenger pigeons) and a wolf
in our collection, and can be done on other specimens. It really depends on
the stability of the material that remains on the mount I believe, but
scientists on this list should correct me if that's not true.
In order to make some determinations about your collection, perhaps you can
reach out any naturalists/scientists/professors in biology departments at
your regional universities/colleges to see if this is sampling they are
interested in or if they could refer you to anyone that might be interested.
In the past, we've been contacted by researchers who were specifically
trying to locate taxidermy mounts in historic museum collections to carry
out their research so they already knew what they were up against when it
came to the chemical treatment and deteriorate of DNA material.
Hope this is somewhat useful,
Nezka

Nezka Pfeifer
Curator
The Everhart Museum of Natural History, Science & Art
1901 Mulberry Street
Scranton, PA  18510-2390
p: 570.346.7186 ext. 512
f: 570.346.0652
www.everhart-museum.org

Follow the breadcrumbs to the Everhart Museum and explore the symbols and
archetypes found in fairy tales in Wolves, Magic Mirrors & Spinning Wheels:
The Anatomy of Fairy Tales. Be inspired by artworks illustrating new fairy
tales in our Community Art at the Everhart: Fairy Tale Remix exhibit in
Gallery ONE. All exhibits on view July 15 – December 31, 2016.

Message: 1