[Nhcoll-l] Jar Numbering Systems

Monaghan, Nigel nmonaghan at museum.ie
Tue Aug 1 12:43:37 EDT 2017

Emily

We spent the last 8 years doing an inventory level catalogue across our museum and didn’t have the resources for individual specimen entries in our database for our spirit collections or for our insect collections. We used a numbering system for ‘containers’ that in our collections may be a jar with multiple tubes, or a box with multiple insects. Numbers in a simple run of integers across all taxa (a jar may contain a mix of taxa) have a prefix referring to major collection category:

NC:zool.jar.1 = Natural History Division, Container : zoology . glass jar . number 1

If we refer to a single tube with its own museum register number, we use the above container code as a storage location, rather than as the unique identifier for the database record. It has allowed us to manage 26,000 jars and only when we get a loan request for a single specimen do we create a detailed database record for that specimen. We do not list strings of register numbers on the outside of our jars. Some jars have number lists in the alcohol. The main place for detailed lists is in the database.

Nigel

Mr Nigel T. Monaghan,
Keeper,
Natural History Division,
National Museum of Ireland – Natural History,
Merrion Street,
Dublin D02 F627,
IRELAND

+353-1-6486354 (phone)
+353-1-6486380 (fax)
nmonaghan at museum.ie<mailto:nmonaghan at museum.ie>
www.museum.ie<blocked::outbind://24/www.museum.ie>

Group Bookings should be addressed to bookings at museum.ie<mailto:bookings at museum.ie>
Research visitors must make appointments in advance of any proposed visit.

Virtual Visit: See our 3D interiors at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.museum.ie_en_exhibition_natural-2Dhistory-2D3d-2Dvirtual-2Dvisit.aspx&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=qmN_mVIJdddsnVG42ECooOiTKqbbBYPC73Ejg89kuZg&s=9Sfl52iT7piHeb6Cb1tUTCbU2mzQIrBmNdtlDuLvqd4&e=
Watch: We are one of the Dublin stories on www.storymap.ie<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.storymap.ie_&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=qmN_mVIJdddsnVG42ECooOiTKqbbBYPC73Ejg89kuZg&s=Wj4ZE6ZznjJ7CSN1GhRUKk6tMIiYAPzVurlI78fPAIE&e= > also at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3DVunX2u-5FmQWw&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=qmN_mVIJdddsnVG42ECooOiTKqbbBYPC73Ejg89kuZg&s=8g0FhiCrQBv0-zPy8DDtd9EIA95zlNRGIt9JtBjupJ8&e=
Read: Guide to the National Museum of Ireland - Natural History, €5.95 from Museum Shops
Poetry: Dead Zoo – a whole book of poetry https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.gallerypress.com_shop_-23-21_-7E_product_id-3D28033815&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=qmN_mVIJdddsnVG42ECooOiTKqbbBYPC73Ejg89kuZg&s=zf_ybhACrO7MRbmMtgwXdW8zGTX_6BPcaSTrJ34FFQA&e=