[Nhcoll-l] Lacerta and other specimens

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 6 05:09:29 EST 2017

Hi Sergio,

I would endorse Dirk’s advice on this in that changing from formalin to alcohol can often dissolve the dyes in injection media.  Most older specimens were injected with coloured latex and the dyes can leach out into alcohol so that you lose the staining and the specimen takes up the colour instead!

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
www.natural-history-conservation.com