[Nhcoll-l] Museum Project

Thomas Labedz tlabedz1 at unl.edu
Thu Nov 16 08:47:56 EST 2017

There are several alternative ways of preparing osteo material depending on the size and fragility of the material being prepared. Yes, meal worms work. So do isopods, crayfish, crabs, composting, maceration, etc. and combinations of them to produce skeletons. Dermestids can be quick. When my colony was going strong it could clean 20-30 mouse-sized vertebrates each day, or 1-2 larger vertebrates. Dermestids that typically infest collections are often not the same as those used in osteo prep. They can cause problems too, but is usually the smaller species that are the main culprit in collection damage.

Thomas Labedz, Collections Manager
Division of Zoology and Division of Botany
University of Nebraska State Museum
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.A.
tlabedz1 at unl.edu<mailto:tlabedz1 at unl.edu>