[Nhcoll-l] Fossils of the Barton Cliffs

David Hall mail at davidewhall.plus.com
Mon Nov 20 06:09:17 EST 2017

I have been researching the role of the Barton Levels at Barton Cliffs in
Barton-on-Sea in Hampshire England in the development of the sciences of
geology and palaeontology. Barton not only gave its name to the Bartonian
Stage but also Charles Lyell and many notable geologists have close
connections with Barton. It seems that the fossils were of such fine
preservation that they have found their way into many collections outside
England.

I would like to add an appendix to my paper on the subject listing some of
the organisations that have fossils of Barton provenance in their
collection.

If you have any such fossils in your collection then I would ideally like to
know:-

1) Museum name

2) Approx no. of fossils from Barton-on-Sea

3) Names (preferably English) of the type of fossils.

4) Collector(s) if known.

5) Details of any large, impressive, unique or otherwise important fossils.

I look forward to hearing from you about your collections and welcome any
question about my research and findings.

Best regards

David

David Hall

Milton Heritage Society