[Nhcoll-l] Fossils of the Barton Cliffs

Neil Clark Neil.Clark at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Nov 20 11:17:14 EST 2017

Dear David,

We have a reasonable collection from Barton as well as a number of other specimens that are not clearly located. Most come from the Lanfine collection, purchased via Butler of London in the 1920s, or material that has been in the collections from ye olden days (probably pre-1850s). The Lanfine collections are from a lecturer of Botany at the University of Glasgow here who donated them to the Hunterian. Thomas Brown, Laird of Waterhaughs and Lanfine; (1774-1853) (as he was better known) had his collections donated to us in 1875, 1896 and 1897 from his sister. There is no record in his catalogue as to how he acquired his collections. The collection  numbers at least a few hundred specimens from what I have seen in the catalogue – sadly not online as yet. Mostly gastropods and bivalves.

All the best,

Neil

Dr Neil D. L. Clark
Curator of Palaeontology

The Hunterian
University of Glasgow
Gilbert Scott Building
Glasgow G12 8QQ

E-mail: Neil.Clark at glasgow.ac.uk
Tel: +44(0)141 330 7666/4561/4221
Website: www.glasgow.ac.uk/hunterian

What’s On

Art of Power: Masterpieces from the Bute Collection
Hunterian Art Gallery and Mount Stuart, Isle of Bute, 31 March 2017 – 14 January 2018

The Truest Mirror of Life: 19th Century French Caricatures
Hunterian Art Gallery, 8 August 2017 – 21 January 2018

A Synchronology
Hunterian Art Gallery, 28 October 2017 – 28 January 2018

Recent Acquisitions
Hunterian Art Gallery, 3 November 2017 – 21 January 2018

Scotland’s Own Coinage
Hunterian Museum, From 3 October 2017

Beauty in Hell: Culture in the Gulag
A Hunterian Virtual Exhibition – https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.gla.ac.uk_beautyinhell&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=8hAFKQpNxCXSRXp-maqy2ulENYZM7aG1cEy4FA0U-9A&s=C44Lb5VcoSwjH3afSMqwDq0kBI6vowRl3uLiCc_zEf0&e=

The Entire Collection cared for by The Hunterian is a Recognised Collection of National Significance to Scotland
University of Glasgow, charity number SC004401