[Nhcoll-l] no-data archaeological material

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Thu Oct 5 09:50:47 EDT 2017

Hi Deborah,

the Landesmuseum für Vorgeschichte in Halle (famous for the Nebra Sky
disc;
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.lda-2Dlsa.de_en_state-5Fmuseum-5Fof-5Fprehistory_permanent-5Fexhibition_&d=DwID-g&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=96btYn93-UcnXarD2IHMQW2DW1R7qjrJc696CWBJH9o&s=Nd8o23VdsooJcH6kljQWqceWi8j75HT94znmX6OPQlc&e= )
added a very impressive time-line of the early industrial revolution of
stone tools by showing their evolution and running them continuously
through two rooms (including a break in the wall between those two
rooms). Some were registered, some not.

They really have a cool & clever exhibition concept; besides the stone
tool-revolution, in the atrium a massive attack of arrows (hanging in
the atrium) points to visitors ascending the stairs.

  Maybe your objects would be suited for a similar purpose?
Dirk

Am 05.10.2017 um 13:30 schrieb Harding, Deborah:

> The Section of Anthropology, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, is in
> the last 3 months of a 3-year NEH grant to rehouse its 1.5 million
> archaeological specimens. As we get down to the last few boxes to go
> into our wonderful new cabinets, we’ve run into the problem of what
> should be done with artifacts having no data. Most of them are ground
> stone tools, and most come from early 20^th century donations.
> Ethically, we can’t just rebury them, and we can’t sell them. Past
> curators didn’t want to deal with them, but now we have to.
>
> We’ve already got educational loan kits using no-data material, and
> the system will handle maybe one or two more kits. That’s maybe 40
> items off the list. Have other institutions come up with solutions to
> the problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated. [We’ve already
> rejected paving our driveways or building patios.]
>
> Thanks.
>
> *Deborah G Harding*
>
> Collection Manager
>
> Section of Anthropology
>
> Carnegie Museum of Natural History
>
> 412-665-2608
>
> hardingd at carnegiemnh.org <mailto:hardingd at carnegiemnh.org>
>
> signature-pc
>
> “The day you stop learning is the day you start to die”. The Rev.
> Thomas L. Small
>

> The information contained in this message and/or attachments is
> intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and
> may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
> retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action
> in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than
> the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error,
> please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and
> destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of
> the individual sender.

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwID-g&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=96btYn93-UcnXarD2IHMQW2DW1R7qjrJc696CWBJH9o&s=LxAf7TFC1rJsX0htBK0YMPyTBCyxLwu54o-KUVp6li0&e=  for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=DwID-g&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=96btYn93-UcnXarD2IHMQW2DW1R7qjrJc696CWBJH9o&s=VBPU0D8Uqp8-ZbuFzU_vV6cjtxPACLO7j5-LM_X15ik&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: