[Nhcoll-l] conservation collections

Alexandra Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Mon Oct 23 11:30:49 EDT 2017

Ann,

Although my own experience has been with facilities that are partially or fully underground, used for collections of fishes  conserved in jars and tanks, there are some conditions that I have noted over the years.

First, over the past years, there have been improvements in construction methods for such facilities  and if the construction company is doing their job, they will be using moisture barriers and materials that keep walls and floors dry.  Secondly, such facilities are great for controlling temperature and UV exposure.  Controlling humidity depends on where you live and the facility system in place to control RH and other environmental factors.

However, these subterranean rooms are closer to groundwater tables and the building's external water pipes that may be buried nearby for landscaping.  Both can add to problems with seeping water at floor and wall levels.  If the upper floors of the museum experience a catastrophic water or fluid spill, the lower levels will also experience the effects.  At three different facilities, where I have managed collections of fishes in jars, I have maintained those collections in subterranean rooms of the museum, i.e., below the DRY collections, for the specific purpose of avoiding damage to dry collection in the event of major spill from fluid preserved collections.

Lex

Alexandra M Snyder, Collections Manager-Fishes
Museum of Southwestern Biology MSC03-2020
University of New Mexico Albuquerque NM 87131
PH./FAX 505.277.6005     amsnyder at unm.edu

PHYSICAL ADDRESS FOR FEDEX/UPS
Bldg.83  Room 204
302 Yale Blvd NE